Saturday, October 23, 2010

WEEKEND 26-30 : Deck Repairs

Because of the hot summer heat, I decided to begin working on several deck repairs. Especially the large deck hole where the chainplate came through the deck due to the high winds of the hurricane.



If you started at the beginning of my project, you know the rule.  The small holes get a lot larger in order to repair them...



After bracing the deck hole with plywood from underneath wrapped in plastic so the fiberglass/resin would stick to it, I laid a couple layers of fiberglass down first, then cut a piece of 1/2" marine plywood to fit the hole. Then another 4 layers of fiberglass on time of the marine plywood, then a little filler and fairing work and she was solid one again.

When we removed the deck hardware. We also removed he teak toe rail that had the 120+ 8' s/s bolds attaching it to the rail.  When this was removed, it was there was a gap in the middle of the base rail that I am sure leaked.  So I took the time to seal the rail with thicken fiberglass filler, applied clamps every 6' and worked my way around the boat.  





Here you can see I had some lots of screw holes I had to fill on the cabin-sole.





2 comments:

Boat said...

It's seems to be hard work to replace the deck of the boat. Best of luck!

northerntransmissions said...

Prestige Deck Coating is an Orange Country decking contractor, specializing in Deck Repair ;Deck Waterproofing (949) 491-4880 info@prestigedecking.com
Deck Repair